Authors Bharat Krymo, Colborn Bell, Omz
Status Draft
Type Artist Reinstatement
Implementor SuperRare
Sponsor(s) @VanArman
Temperature Check Poll Governance Channel in SR Discord
Created Date 01/24/2022

Summary
We propose reinstating Eric Rhodes as an Artist on SuperRare, so he can return to minting new works on the platform. We perceive this as a win/win for the artists and the platform.

Motivation
Eric Rhodes was banned from SuperRare for threatening to mint a piece that remixed another artist’s work. It was a deliberate act of solidarity with Max Osiris, who had just been banned from the platform. Eric was banned for fighting for artists’ rights to push the boundaries of Intellectual Property (IP) appropriation. He has also made significant contributions to the evolution of Crypto Art, and the Trash Art movement, in particular.

Benefits
Reinstating Eric would add value and diversity to SuperRare’s roster of artists, and is aligned with the values that underpin this space. Using a decentralized governance process to reverse previous decisions is a powerful act and sends an important signal to the whole community. It would reinforce the fact that SuperRare is a truly decentralized platform, and have a positive ripple effect throughout the space. It would send a strong signal on SuperRare’s differentiation given Meta’s entry into this space and the ability to sense and respond to the changing landscape of community/DAO based activism.

Drawbacks
Artists may think that they can flout SuperRare’s terms and conditions, and get away with it.

Specifications
Whitelist the following address for minting on SuperRare:
0xeE96703614Ea707b0b99ecb55dA74c04Ff70f2Ed

Here’s the temp check link for this proposal: Discord

(Discource was having issues allowing the proposal to post with it. We decided through #governance channel on Discord to include the link here as a comment. Might have been caused by some spam rate limiter in Discource.)

I sponsor this. @VanArman

1 Like

Happy to see the very first proposal driven towards the cryptoart culture :fire: I fully support pushing the boundaries of IP and the appropriative nature of digital art. I have some notes and questions about the proposal:

First, can the author please add a specification section consistent with the required SIP template providing the Ethereum wallet address to be whitelisted?

Second, does the Artist have any objections to accepting the http://superrare.com/ Terms of Service as is currently required as a condition of using the website to mint NFTs?

Third, this proposal strikes at the heart of some larger NFT ecosystem issues that SuperRare wants to help discuss, debate, and eventually solve - what is appropriate response for NFT platforms that receive infringement complaints relating to Artists’ minting conduct and what level of accountability must the Artist take in dealing with valid infringement complaints? I would like to invite the Authors and Artists for a thoughtful public discussion on these issues, and of course, to liberally preach cryptoart lore and ethos.

1 Like

I support this proposal. Eric is a good artist and has some tremendous history in the community.