|Type||Contract & interface changes|
|Implementor||I do not know|
|Temperature Check Poll||Discord|
|RARE tokens held at date of creation||248,682.9213|
- Title - Revenue and Royalty splits for collaborations
- Preamble - Author: Bård Ionson, Status: Draft, Type: Contract Interface Improvement, Sponsor: Bård Ionson, Created Date: 01/23/2022, Link to poll:
- Summary - SuperRare has been known for epic collaborations but we would like a way to split revenue and royalties between artists
- Abstract - As an artist I would like to be able to have a smart contract that will spit revenue for sales and royalties so that I do not have to manage spreadsheets of information and watch for sales of NFTs on other artists accounts. Also so I do not have to calculate splits based on quick moving market conditions. I assume a new contract would have to be created to do this work. Perhaps it can be implemented as other platforms have with a collaborator contract that the artist pays gas fees for.
- Motivation - Artists who collaborate are now doing collaborations on other platforms. SuperRare has had some very good collaborations the elevated the platform and the artists involved. It would save artists time and keep them on SuperRare.
- Specification - I hate to dictate a technical solution. Perhaps the artists could create a collaboration split entry on a contract for splits. They would add the splits to the rules of that contract. Then they would mint under that contract which would tie into the main SR contract somehow. The interface would get a new option to create a collaboration and an option when minting to add that collaboration to the NFT. It might cause you to have to change all of your contracts. Or perhaps you could make it a feature of the new individual series contracts. The new series contracts seem to have more flexibility and OpenSea recognizes the royalties on those. The database would have to change to support an NFT having multiple artists. Search engine would have to change so art shows up under both artists. Leaderboard changes to calculate dollar amounts of sales.
- Benefits - Keeping collaborations on SuperRare, making it easier for artists to coordinate, minimizing disagreements and likelihood of lawsuits due to disagreements between artists
- Drawbacks - Cost of generating a new contract, might not work with existing SR contracts, it might cost too much in gas every time a royalty needs to be paid out
- Outcomes - Do a survey of the current art pieces to determine how many are collaborations. If collaboration splitting is added track if the number of collaborations goes up. Survey other platforms that have collaboration spits and see if the artists who are on both SR and other platforms start using SR for collaborations. Put up a webpage that tracks these things. Make a dune analytics dashboard that captures the monitoring of this data.