- Author: Maaria Bajwa
- Status: Temperature Check
- Type: Governance
- Implementer: SuperRare DAO
- Sponsor(s): John Crain
- Link to Temperature Check Poll: TBD
- Created Date: 05/11/2022
The SuperRare DAO should donate the 55.638Ξ ETH earned as a commission from the auction of the 3 NFTs in Mother of Creation triptych to three nonprofits: The Voices of Children, The City of Joy, and Black Mama’s Bail Out.
Mother of Nature is an NFT collaboration between Madonna and Beeple, two of the most influential creators of all time. The triptych centers around the idea of creation and motherhood, and each of the three works in the collection represents a different form of birth in contemporary life. The 3 NFTs in the collection were offered for sale in a 48-hour auction on SuperRare starting Wednesday, May 11th.
Proceeds from the sale will benefit three nonprofit organizations picked by Madonna and Beeple to further their missions of supporting mothers across the globe:
- The Voices of Children - supports women and children affected by the war in Ukraine with psychological and urgent care.
- The City of Joy - a community that helps survivors of sexual and physical violence heal and rebuild their lives with new skills. Based in Democratic Republic of Congo, the organization has seen 1,734 women graduate their program since opening its doors in 2011.
- Black Mama’s Bail Out - provides bail and support for black caregivers who are disproportionately incarcerated while awaiting trial. These caregivers have not been convicted of crimes and have children, families, and communities that rely on them.
The artists are donating all primary and secondary proceeds from the Mother of Creation collection to these three charities. In total, the 3 pieces sold for 309.1Ξ total.
The SuperRare DAO earned 55.638Ξ from the auction – 15% commission + the 3% marketplace fee from the initial sale.
This proposal asks that the DAO donate 55.638Ξ earned from the initial sale to the 3 charities listed above via Madonna’s Ray of Light Foundation, which will oversee the operational distribution of funds to the underlying charities. Donations will be made in cryptocurrency when possible.
A breakdown of the commission sent to the SuperRare DAO Treasury from the sales is below:
- Token ID  → 12.969Ξ (etherscan)
- Token ID  → 30.69Ξ (etherscan)
- Token ID  → 11.979Ξ (etherscan)
This proposal looks to donate 55.638Ξ from the SuperRare DAO treasury to the three charities listed above via Madonna’s Ray of Light Foundation, which will oversee the operational distribution of funds to the underlying charities. Donations will be made in cryptocurrency when possible.
After a year-long creative journey to birth these pieces of art, two of the most influential artists of all-time have chosen SuperRare as their launch partner. This is an opportunity for SuperRare DAO to show its support for artists and creators by aligning with their missions.
Transfer 55.638Ξ to the Ray of Light Foundation at (0x90a72ED643889DE34B86976ce492f4b2dA712563). The Ray of Light Foundation will manage the logistics of distributing the funds to the three organizations. Each of the non-profits agrees to highlight SuperRare DAO as a donor, and will provide a way for SuperRare DAO members to stay up to date on their efforts via email or text updates. At this time, it would be too operationally cumbersome for the non-profits to provide detailed information on the use-of-proceeds for SuperRare DAO’s specific donation.
Use the links below to sign up for updated from the nonprofits:
The long-term benefits to donating the primary and secondary commissions to charity outweigh the short-term financial impact to the DAO treasury, regardless of the auction results. This includes:
• Ensuring that high-profile drops that drive visibility to SuperRare continue to occur on the platform.
• Clearly aligning SuperRare DAO with artists and creators who want to use their art and creativity to do good.
• The SuperRare DAO is currently the only party taking a commission from the sale. All other parties, including the artists, creators, and technology partners have agreed to waive their fees in order to maximize the amount given to the non-profit organizations. It is technically too cumbersome for SuperRare DAO to donate marketplace fees, however, I strongly encourage SuperRare DAO to consider figuring out how to do this for the future. If SuperRare DAO is the only participant to take a commission, other artists may consider releasing their NFTs on other platforms that are more aligned with their missions.
The SuperRare DAO community treasury will need to use the 18% commission earned from the auction.
This proposal hopes to align SuperRare DAO with artists and creators who are using their art to make a positive impact, especially those who have broad reach.
Yes - Donate 55.638Ξ to the 3 charities mentioned above.
No - Do not donate.
[I have updated the proposal to remove references to the SuperRare DAO donating proceeds from secondary sales to charity, as this does not seem like a viable option at this time. Instead the proposal has been updated to reference the 55.638Ξ the SuperRare DAO treasury received from the initial sale.]